Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Days 13 & 14 w/ Our Finn Girls: The Last Days

Just realized I never wrote about the last couple days with our lovely Finn girls, so I decided to do that.

Day 13:  Monday.  The Last Day.  Unfortunately, I had to make cupcakes that day for a wedding on Tuesday so that's pretty much what I spent my day doing.  Had to run to the store in the morning for some ingredients and then had to make 200+ cupcakes.  Kind of a boring day . . . but oh well.  Anyways, the girls (Rachel, Emma, Tonja, & Josefine) had been out late . . . excuse me . . . quite early . . . in the morning and slept in.  Then they along with Tara headed to Moulton Falls (it was a HOT day) and walked a bit and then sat down on the rocks and waded in the water.  Josefine went in a bit more than the other girls.  :)  Anyways, after they got home they packed.  That evening there was volleyball at Rick & Kathy's so we went and spent the evening there.  We had so much fun talking and joking around and simply being "different".  Haha!

Day 14:  Tuesday.  Up early to head to the church as the girls and the last of the Finns were leaving that morning to head to Seattle.  At the church everyone said their, perhaps, slightly teary, good-byes.  A few last hugs and good-byes, waving, and then they were gone, with prayers for safe travels headed right after them.  I actually had to head into the church to frost the cupcakes then so I did that and then went and did a little bit of shopping.

It was really so good to be able to experience hosting the Finn girls and I'm sure everyone who hosted someone was blessed by it.  I would so do it again in a heartbeat.

It is a bit ironic that I was a bit hesitant about hosting them, and really selfish on my part.  I truly would not trade that experience for anything.  I would encourage others to host people.  To have that experience.  I have regrets about the times when the girls were here, that I didn't get to know them better.  That I held myself back so much.  As soon as they were gone, I wished I would've asked them this and this and this.  Wondering about their lives.

When they were gone, it was like such a hit back to reality.  Like bammm!  The fun, the blessed times, done.  I know life moves on.  And really, the fun and blessed times weren't done.  They were just different.  Things change.  We move on.  But the memories are there.  Unchanging.

Midnight Sun, Kuopio, Finland

But now, I truly wish to go to Finland.  To Scandinavia.  I've always thought it would be cool to go there.  Now, I know I would really want to.  And I hope and wish and dream.  Of a time maybe I can go there.  Maybe, someday, I will be able to go.  And if not, well, I know God has a plan for me.  Whatever that plan is, I simply need to be content.  To seek His will.  His way.  But right now, I know I can't go.  Right now,  I need to find a job.  And to be content with the way things are.

And now I will quit writing before my post gets even longer.  Simply filled with writing.  Have a wonderful day!

No comments: